This section of the soccerfitness.ca Member’s Area showcases current, relevant, soccer-specific journal articles and scientific studies. Through our extensive network, which includes some of the world’s leading research institutes for sports science, Soccer Fitness is able to provide Members with an exclusive look at the most up-to-date trends in soccer-specific fitness testing, training, and injury prevention.
The articles in this section are listed in chronological order from the time they were published. Click on the links below to view the articles in pdf format.
Abstracts from the Seventh World Congress on Science and Football:
- Isokinetic Knee Strength Does Not Show Relationships with Yo-Yo IR2 and Sprint Tests in Male Soccer Players. Nakamura, Daisuke & Suzuki, T.
- Assessment of Repeated Sprint Ability Using a Combined Submaximal and Exhaustive Treadmill Protocol. Drust, B. Cullen, C. and Di Michele, R.
- Yo-Yo IR Performance in an Elite Soccer League During a Competitive Season. Mohr, M.
- Training Factors Affecting Recovery in Football Matches. Coutts, A.J.
- Physical Fitness Trainability in Young Soccer Players. Mendez-Villanueva, A.J., Simpson, B.M., Buchheit, M.
- Validity of the Yo-Yo Intermittent Recovery Test Level 1 in Assessing or Estimating VO2Max Among Female Soccer Players. Martinez-Lagunas, V. & Hartmann, U.
- The Relationship of Muscle Reaction Time and the Functional Ankle Instability of Football (Soccer) Players. Yoshida, N., Kobiyashi, N., Masunari, A., Hisajima, T., Takahashi, H., Mikayawa, S.
- Physiology of Women’s Football – Match Performance, Fatigue, Testing and Training. Krustrup, P.
- Fitness Characteristics of Finnish Elite Female Soccer Players. Luthanen, P., Vikki, J., Kald, M.
- Analysis of Finnish Youth Soccer Players’ Passing and Dribbling Skills in 2002-2010. Vattinen, T.
Abstracts from the Second World Conference on Science and Soccer:
- Reduction of High Speed Running at the Start of the Second Half in Elite Referees and Players. Wreston, M., Harley, J., Barnes, C & Lovell, R.
- Improvements in Jumps and Sprint Performance by a Specific Training in Elite Youth Soccer Players. Kittel, R., Steltzer, P., Hohne, J., Wolfhart, D., Gruber, M.
- Sprint Profiles In Soccer. Saunders, B., Sale, C., Sunderland, C.
- Fitness Profiling in Soccer: Physical and Physiological Characteristics of Elite Players. Jukic, I., Sporis, G., Vuleta, D.
- Referee Communication Mitigates Player Uncertainty About Decision Correctness. Simmons, P.
- Visuomotor Control of Soccer Goalkeepers in a Penalty Kick Situation. Piras, A., Scott, M., Vickers, J.
- Might Commercial Off-the-Shelf Sports Drinks Aid Athletes Competing in the Football World Cup in 2010? Edwards, B., Rayson, R., Franklin, G., McCaulay, K., Steed, A., Clarke, N., Maclean, D. & Waterhouse, J.
- The Effect of Caffeine on Anaerobic Power, LDH Enzyme and Ca+ Ion of Young Soccer Players’ Plasma. Bagheri, G., Samadian, B., Izadi, M.
- A Prediction Model for the Prevention of Football Injuries Amongst Youth Players. Serfontein, JH., Spamer, EJ.
- Recovery of Muscle Glycogen After a Soccer Match: Effect of a High Carbohydrate Diet. Gunnarson, TP., Krustrup, P., Bendiksen, M., Bischoff, R., Christensen, PM., Thomassen, M., Nielsen, JJ., Leisvig, B., Nybo, L. & Bangsbo, J.
- Patterns and Characteristics of Offences in FIFA World Cup. Yamada, H.
- Repeated-sprint ability in professional and amateur soccer players. Rampinini E, Sassi A, Morelli A, Mazzoni S, Fanchini M, Coutts AJ. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2009 Dec;34(6):1048-54.
- A test to evaluate the physical impact on technical performance in soccer. Rostgaard T, Iaia FM, Simonsen DS, Bangsbo J. J Strength Cond Res. 2008 Jan;22(1):283-92.
- The Yo-Yo IR2 test: physiological response, reliability, and application to elite soccer. Krustrup P, Mohr M, Nybo L, Jensen JM, Nielsen JJ, Bangsbo J. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2006 Sep;38(9):1666-73.
- Injuries in young elite female soccer players: an 8-season prospective study. Le Gall F, Carling C, Reilly T. Am J Sports Med. 2008 Feb;36(2):276-84. Epub 2007 Oct 11.
- Time Motion Analysis of International and National Level Futsal. Dogramaci, S., Watsford, M., Murphy, J. School of Leisure, Sport, and Tourism, University of Technology, Sydney, Kuring-Gai Campus, Lindfield, New South Wales, Australia.
- Age-related differences in acceleration maximum running speed and RSE in young soccer players, Alberto Mendez-Villanuevaa; Martin Buchheita; Sami Kuitunena; Andrew Douglasa; Esa Peltolaa; Pitre
Bourdona, Sport Science Department, ASPIRE Academy for Sports Excellence, Doha, Qatar
- Effects of age and spa treatment on match running performance over two consecutive games in young soccer. MARTIN BUCHHEIT, COSMIN HOROBEANU, ALBERTO MENDEZ-VILLANUEVA, BEN SIMPSON, & PITRE C. BOURDON. Physiology Unit, Sports Science Department, ASPIRE, Academy for Sports Excellence, Doha, Qatar
- Repeated-Sprint Sequences During Youth Soccer Matches. M. Buchheit , A. Mendez-villanueva , B. M. Simpson , P. C. Bourdon. Physiology Unit, Sport Science Department ASPIRE, Academy for Sports Excellence, Doha, Qatar
- Differences in Thigh Muscularity and Dynamic Torque Between Junior and Senior Soccer Players. YOSHIHIRO HOSHIKAWA1, TOMOMI IIDA1, MASATAKA MURAMATSU1, YOSHIHARU NAKAJIMA1, TETSUO FUKUNAGA2, & HIROAKI KANEHISA3 1Sports Photonics Laboratory, Hamamatsu Photonics KK, Iwata City, 2Department of Sport Sciences, Waseda University, Tokorozawa and 3Department of Life Sciences (Sports Sciences), University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan.
- Profiles of Trunk and Thigh Muscularity in Youth and Professional Soccer Players. TAKAHIRO KUBO,1 MASATAKA MURAMATSU,2 YOSHIHIRO HOSHIKAWA,2 AND HIROAKI KANEHISA 1 1Department of Life Sciences (Sports Sciences), University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan; and 2Sports Photonics Laboratory, Hamamatsu Photonics K.K., Iwata-city, Shizuoka, Japan.
- Water and Electrolyte Needs in Training and Match Play in Soccer. Susan M. Sherriffs, Michael N. Sawka & Michael Stone. School of Sport & Exercise Sciences, Loughborough UNiversity, Loughborough, UK. Journal of Sports Sciences, July, 2006; 24(7): 699-707
- Dietary Supplements in Football – A Review. P. Hespel, R.J. Maughan, & P.L. Greenhaff. Journal of Sports Sciences, July, 2006; 24(7): 749-761
- Improving the Q:H Ratio in Women Using Plyometric Exercises. KAVIN K.W. TSANG AND ANGELA A. DIPASQUALE. Department of Kinesiology, California State University, Fullerton, Fullerton, California; and Michigan State University, East Lansing, Michigan
- Prevention of acute knee injuries in adolescent female football players: cluster randomised controlled trial. Markus Waldén, Isam Atroshi, Henrik Magnusson, Philippe Wagner, Martin Hägglund. Division of Community Medicine, Department of Medical and Health Sciences, Linköping University, 581 83 Linköping, Sweden